3.14.2012

DIY Dotted Denim

It's no secret that Pretty Things is slightly obsessed with polka dots. Okay, we're head over heels in love! When I spotted (literally) a few pairs of dotted jeans in the spring line ups, namely a green pair by Current/Elliott, I couldn't take my eyes off of them. It wasn't long before the crafty in me came through and decided to make my own! I thought about using a stencil, but couldn't find one that fit the bill so I just free painted the polka dots. I think they turned out pretty darn cute if you ask me. Especially when you take into account that they came to a total cost of $20.95 + tax.

Current/Elliott   
Materials:
  • Coloured jeans. I used grey denim with white fabric paint to keep the look fairly subtle. Joe Fresh has cropped coloured pants right now for $19.00!
  • Fabric paint. I used a small tube of Tulip Soft that was on sale for $1.95. I wouldn't sway too far from a light neutral colour, as you don't want the pants to look too kitsch.
  • Paintbrush. Pick your size depending on how large you want the polka dot to be. I did a dot about 1 cm in diameter, but I also want to try a pair with a pin size dot, much like this pair from Anthropologie.
Steps:
  • There really isn't too much to describe here. Just paint the dots on the pants. I tried to paint mine in a grid like fashion, but don't worry too much if it's not perfect. The total project took about 2 hours to paint the front and back. 
  • Dry, put on and enjoy!
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment